Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Please, somebody remind me that it pays to be consistent.

Today was just one of those days. It was mostly my own fault. I stayed up much to late watching my guilty pleasure last night and woke up much to early trying to shed the remains of holiday weight clinging to my body for dear life...so needless to say I've been exhausted all day.

It was one of those days where I wanted to surrender and let my kids watch their favorite Disney movies and snack on cookies and milk all day. Forget the art project or sliced apples.

One of those days where I wanted to just give in when they demanded something rather than correct them and remind them to use good manners.

One of those days where I wanted to pick all their toys up instead of gently and then not so gently reminding them that they needed to do it. Meanwhile, watching the sun rise and then set waiting for it to get done.

One of those days where they could scurry off to bed with their teeth unbrushed and sugar-coated, and not feel a bit guilty about it.

One of those days where I contemplated skipping goodnight prayers and scriptures, rationalizing that we could double up on it tomorrow.

One of those days where I just say to myself "I can't! I don't have the energy to remember all these things ALL the time.

Is that so bad??


And to those superstars who have more than two--First, I'm so sorry for whining. Secondly, how do you do it?

I know that some day it will pay. Some day I will politely be invited to join my kids for a healthy snack of carrots and hummus. They will remind me to bless the food before eating and then flash me their beautiful smiles, white teeth glistening in the light. Yes...someday.

3 comments:

Heather said...

We're having one of those days....except in some things, I'm giving in...Dallin is still in his jammies, eating cinnamon graham crackers and watching 101 Dalmations.
Sigh.

Juwmama said...

I don't think we moms give in to "those days" enough. Other than the scriptures and prayers....everything else can usually wait until tomorrow. Someitmes "those days" can become our best days...if we just let go! Consistancy IS good...but one day off never killed anyone. :-) Maybe that's why I have lots of kids....because I've given in to too many of "those days." :-)

HAMISH AND ELLEN said...

You do such a good job Tara! I find myself asking the exact same questions on certain "sluggish" days. Here's what I tell myself, "other than brushing teeth and kids staying polite, everything else can wait until tomorrow." Seriously. The kids can stay in their jammies (myself too) and we can spend more time in front of the television, but cavities are expensive and raising kind and considerate human beings takes nothing less than consistency.

So my vote is for the consistency camp - yes it pays off! And I've always admired your ability to stay consistent! =)