Thursday, February 07, 2013

Cracked Her Head Wide Open


 If you run into Tegan anytime soon she's sure to tell you about how she cracked her head open. It all started when the two girls decided to strip down to their underwear. Anytime they do this (and it's not near as often as they'd like) they become like wild animals chasing each other around, jumping on couch cushions and doing donkey kicks. This particular time they were chasing each other back and forth while I was busily getting dinner together. Next thing I know Tegan is holding her head and screaming. I assumed it was the usual bumping into something, but this time she ran smack into the corner of the counter. I have always been grateful that my kids have somehow avoided stitches or broken bones, but I knew I was living on borrowed time. While holding her and trying to calm her down Jess informed me that she was bleeding. I did what any good mom would do and immediately took my sweater off so it wouldn't get blood on it. But seriously I did feel myself go into panic mode a little bit. I fumbled with the phone, called Tom and informed him our little munch would need stitches. That one word "stitches" sent Jessie, yes Jessie (the uninjured girl) into a tizzy. She began crying and carrying on about how she didn't want her sister to get stitches or shots and it would hurt and getting Tegan all worked up. I finally did the only thing I could think of to do and that was to send Jessie to her room to say a prayer. She went and came back and then went back again to pray some more when she started to get upset again. At some point in time not long after the injury I remembered my friend telling me a story about her husband (a doctor) gluing a cut on one of the neighbor kids. I called and prayed they would answer and they did. He came right up, pulled a bottle of super glue from the dollar store out and in no time at all that "cracked" head was glued right back together.
It was a funny experience, and a learning one too. It wasn't life or death, or even a true emergency, but I was grateful for how the Lord answered our prayers that day. It was a reminder to me that He listens and He knows our needs. That simple call to our friend helped us escape a huge ER bill, some major drama from one daughter and tears from the other. When it was all said and done Tegan was the proud owner of a new scar, Jessie was a relieved older sister, I was a humbled mother and we were all able to sit down to a dinner that was still warm.

This is her completely back up to speed the next day.


No comments: