Thursday, January 03, 2013

December in a flash

Alright, it's been much longer than I anticipated, but have no fear there was much fun being had in the Lenox household. I love the time from Thanksgiving to the New Year because of the spirit in the air and the busyness that comes from the holidays. I complain about it at times because it gets a little too busy,  but make no mistake I thrive on the craziness. The girls seem the perfect age right now to just bask in the magic of Christmas. They love every minute of it and I will be sad when they come to the realization that things aren't exactly how they once imagined. In no specific order these are the things that kept us on the go.

This year for the first time the girls made gifts for one another. I've loved this idea ever since I first heard it from Julia and then from my friend Kristine. It was an opportunity for the kids to serve one another in a sense and use their creativity to make something for each other. Tegan opted to paint a caterpillar on one of Lainey's onesies. She drew her design on freezer paper and with a little help we cut out her shape, ironed it onto the onesie and she painted the opened areas.


This is how it looked in the end. She wanted to make it very colorful.
Jess made this rattle for baby Lainey out of an old spice bottle (I stole this idea from Kristine) and we filled it with beads and glued the lid on top. She decorated the cover and I thought it was so sweet because she wrote "You are my sunshine on it." That is the song she always sings to Lainey when she's crying.
Jess made this puzzle for Tegan because aint nothin Tegan loves better than doing a puzzle in her spare time. We ordered a couple 8x10's of a family photo and glued it onto a cereal box, mod-podged over it and then cut it out. The cutting I ended up doing because it was pretty stiff. Tegan loves it.
This was what Lainey made for both the girls. Again the freezer paper and painting. She was a real trooper while I dipped her feetsies in paint and pressed them the best I could against the fabric. This is definitely a tradition we will continue.
Decorations went up shortly after Thanksgiving.
Along with the tree. Since the girls were bickering about who would put the star up this year we gave the task to Lainey and she did a mighty fine job of it.
Went to the ward Christmas party and enjoyed yummy food and entertainment.
And a little Santa time too.
Bundled up for the Keizer Festival of Lights Parade with the Johnsons. This is our 3rd year going and we've loved it every time.
Made some brownies in a jar for the teachers.
Went to Story Book Land in Albany with the Johnsons. They have all kinds of Disney stories and characters set up throughout the display and the girls think it's pretty fascinating.

Did our annual sugar cookie decorating with the Fullers and went to the live nativity at our church. I love this every year and even though the camel, cookies and hot cocoa seems to be the main draw for the girls I love that they can walk through and be reminded of the Savior's birth.
Jess taped a cotton ball to her nose dotted by a red marker and pretended to be Rudolph while she ate her oats.
Went to Magic at the Mill here in Salem. I had no idea this existed, but thanks to a groupon we went and enjoyed the lights, activities, and entertainment there. Something I think we'd like to do again.

Had both families over for dinner and games.
Spent Christmas Eve together, just our little family. Love the contrast here of fatigue on Tom's face and excitement for the next morning on the girl's face.
Opened up a few presents. This one in particular still sits in the box until we get some AAA batteries.
Showed a little love.
Modeled some of their favorite new gifts.
Got bigger and bigger before our very eyes.

Banged some pots and pans at our beloved Hathaway's house
And started the new year with a kiss.

The best memories were created just being able to spend time with family and friends. I always get a little sentimental this time of year just thinking about how blessed we are to be surrounded by such lovely people.  I'm sad it's all over, but grateful for some relaxation time and being able to sleep in a little bit before life resumes.  Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.

No comments: