Expressions
Sometimes I have to laugh at some of the expressions we use in our home. It's fun to think about where I first heard something, and why did it stick with me. Some things I swore I'd never say that were ground into me as a child have been carried on to my kids, things like, It's what's inside that counts," or "It's all suck and no squirt" (Tom winces anytime that one is said), or "somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed", and I'd never forget "I've had it up to here with you" (envision my mother holding her hand about 2 cm from the top of her head). I often wondered if I'd ever push her to the point just above her head, and what would be the consequence. Some were derived from movies or other people like, "My dogs are barking!" I think I first heard that on the movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles. And "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit." My daughter brought that one home from preschool. And my stepdad's favorite "If you go hungry it's your own fault." These are only the ones fresh in my head now, I know there are so many more just swimming around in my brain waiting to be used. There's something about these phrases that bring a certain comfort. Although often used in a moment of chastening, the message was sent. It was direct and clear. There seems no better way to say it. Maybe that's why in our house I continue to say some of these same phrases and a few others we have chosen to use regularly like "Whining never gets you what you want." or "I'm not going to do something for you that you can do for yourself." or "Because I'm the Mom." Some I have chosen to leave behind with my childhood and adopt a new more sophisticated way such as the word fart. Even to write it pains me a little. It seems so crass and harsh. I took on Tom's family's more gentle term toot which sounds completely appropriate when we're talking with the kids, but recently realized that it's quite juvenile to throw around in a room full of adults which makes me really second guess the phrase we regularly use "Did you let a tooty toot from your booty boot?" Although my kids love to roll their eyes to the top of their head where they linger for a while anytime one of these are used, I know some day I will snicker to myself when I hear one of them say to their kids "There are children starving in China, eat your food!"
Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is so true. I used to think I would never say such things to my kids because I didn't like it when my mom said them to me. I now say them to my kids. We also don't allow our kids to say fart as well as butt, shut up. They seem so harsh for little kids plus as my mom told me when I was older when I wanted to rebel I would say these really bad words. It makes swear words seem really really bad. The funniest was when the boys come home from school and say that their friends said the "F" word. It threw us off for a minute and then we were happy they knew the difference.
Reading this totally made me laugh out loud! "all suck and no squirt"......oh dear!
Post a Comment