The Not So Glorious Moments of Motherhood
Today was a work day for me. That means that there is only about 2-3 hours left in the day that I have to spend with my kids before bedtime. It's amazing what can happen in that amount of time. Today within minutes of picking up one of my girls she managed to spill soup all over herself and her car seat. Which completely halted my race to my other daughter and ultimately her t-ball practice as we pulled over off the freeway to do what cleaning I could with the mess while cars whizzed past. While at t-ball I made not one but two trips to a nearby tree for bathroom stops and one of them was not just a number one. It was a reminder of why I am not ready to get a dog yet. For anyone wondering, I did do the responsible thing and put the droppings in a plastic bag to be thrown away, but I was only able to do that because the van was bulging with garbage. The rest of the evening was spent cleaning up the car seat and preparing the girls for another day.
Lately I've had a lot of moments where I feel like I can't keep up. What I'd like to do and what my body will allow are not on the same page. I have a hard time being alright with cutting a few unnecessary things out of my life. As a result I feel frustrated, moody, impatient, and like I'm failing at everything I'm trying to stuff in a day. This morning I read something that helped me put things in perspective a little bit. It was like an answer to a prayer really. I came across this talk by Elder Uchtdorf. It reminded me of what is most important. I love how it teaches the three main things that we should focus on, First the Lord, Second our family, and Third others. If I sift through my day I can weed out a lot of things I would like to do, but aren't necessarily a priority and save them for another day. I don't know anyone who doesn't have a lot of those stacked up. My biggest fault is accepting that that's okay. If I can find a way to push those aside without guilt than maybe I'll have a little bit more patience when soup gets spilled or I become a pooper scooper for a minute. I think I need to just read this talk everyday for a while because looking to the future the load won't be getting lighter anytime soon. And then pretty soon, there might even be some extra time to do a little bit of this....Doesn't he look relaxed??
Monday, April 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
thanks for sharing. love that talk and love you.
Tara!! You are awesome! I really wanted to say "Been There, Done That!" Hang in there. :-) JU
Tara, you are so introspective sometimes, it is just awe inspiring! You left a lump in my throat, my beautiful girl.
Post a Comment