Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Tomorrow and a Lesson Learned

I was hoping "tomorrow" (see previous post) would be a better day. I can't say it was better or worse, just crazy. This is how my day started... Because of our van issues I had to move the car seats from the van to our sedan. I was trying to multitask and talk to Tommy on the phone at the same time. After starting up the car and getting out to go in and get the girls I saw out of the corner of my eye our sedan not so slowly rolling down our very steep driveway and heading for our almost as steep street. I yelled at Tom to hold on and went bolting after it. There was no way I was going to catch up to it, but the car took a turn and started rolling backwards down the street and up the curb between our yard and our neighbors. It stopped for a millisecond and then started rolling forward toward our neighbors house, fence, and lamp post. I ran toward it, grabbed the door handle, and jumped in inches before it rammed into the curb.

Oddly during all of that I never let go of the phone, what does that say about me? So Tom heard screaming and footsteps and had no idea what was going on. Luckily, there were no cars parked along the street like there usually are, when the car did jump the curb it somehow did it at the perfect spot clear of lamp posts, fences, and utility boxes, and lastly I was somehow miraculously able to swing the door open and squeeze my not so small belly into the car to slam on the break before any real destruction was done.

The lesson learned was that cell phones really can be distracting, so distracting that I forgot to pull the break up before heading in for the kids. I won't be doing that again. After that the day went from just another day to Doctor's appointments (somewhere during the car chase I managed to fall although I don't remember where or how), babysitters, and lots of driving. I'm just glad everything turned out alright. I only wish I had a video of all of this. Still, every time I think about it I bust up laughing.

1 comment:

Annie and Jake Callister said...

um, wow. I'm so glad everything is okay. That was so lucky! It reminds me of one of Jake's blog posts:
http://jakeandannie.blogspot.com/2011/09/inexpensive-lessons.html

Hope you are well. We found out we are having a girl :)