Tuesday, July 05, 2011

One of Those Days...

I'm one of those people that has always felt like if I didn't work outside of the home at least a little bit during the week, that I might go a little stir crazy. I fully respect and admire mothers or fathers who chose to be in the home full-time, but after Jessie was born I looked at my part time job as a nice break away from the monotony I would feel at home with one child who did little more than eat, sleep, and poop and it was rewarding working as a nurse and helping someone in need in a different kind of way.

More and more now I am having one of those days when I wish I was just at home full-time with my kids. They are getting bigger now and honestly just more fun. They love to explore and learn and we can actually converse a little--and so there never seems to be enough time and when I'm at work I find myself wishing that I was home with them. I feel like I've found a good balance between work and home and I don't necessarily feel like I'm missing out on important moments in their lives, but I long for the complete freedom one has when they are not tied down by the obligations of a job outside of the home and a schedule.

I realize I should be more grateful because I've been able to work and help support our family when Tom was going to school and even now in purchasing a home and being able to get the kids involved in activities that we might not otherwise be able to afford and I'm grateful that I do have the option to choose whether to work or not AND I can even see some benefits that have come from Jess and Tegan going to daycare and interacting with other children their age...BUT my kids are growing up so stinkin fast and trying to keep up with them and work leaves me playing catch up quite a bit.

Perhaps if "one of those days" starts to be every day, I'll join the ranks of the complete stay at home parents and most likely complain that I miss nursing and wish I could do it just a little bit...so hard to please--I know. For now, I will continue with the juggling act and hope my head doesn't pop off while trying to squeeze what should be done in 7 days into 5 instead.

No comments: