Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Birthday fun for everyone!

As mentioned in the previous post, Jessie turned 5. She seemed to have an extended birthday celebration this year because her party was the weekend after her birthday. She was so confused about it she thought she should be 6 by now. Her favorite present by far was a visit from her very own Nana. There were smiles all around. We spent a week planning Jess's first big friend party, picking lots and lots of berries, swimming, taking Nana to eat at some of our favorite places and going to the park. I think Nana was pretty worn out by weeks end.


Jess and Tegan enjoying some freshly made berry jam
We found an awesome place to pick berries. I'd gone there last year, but forgotten how great it is. They have every kind and they were ready to be picked. We picked boysenberries, raspberries, and marionberries and combined it all into one jam. By far the best jam that's ever been made it my kitchen. I think it's because I had my mom's help. I know, I know Angie I love my berries.
These were some of the boysenberries.

After we got the berries processed, pied, and put in the freezer we moved on to preparation for Jessie's party. She was happy to help. This year she chose a dog theme. We had the kids make collars and get there faces painted in the beginning and made sure there were plenty of games to keep them busy. This site offered lots of great ideas.
Jess helping us make the bone cookies.
Jess and her friend Rowan swinging around. Rowan came all the way from Maine for this party (maybe it had more to do with his Aunt getting married) but Jess likes the first version better.
Little puppy dog cake.
Any guesses which kid was sad that it wasn't her big day???
But bubbles made it all better.
Rowan's little bro Heath playing in the garden. The kid must have a green thumb because he wanted to be in there all day.
Jessie's babysitter and her daughter and best friend Aneliz
Jessie's other good friend from preschool, Taylor. They were so happy to see each other again.

One of my beehives drew and painted this dog for our pin the tail on the puppy game. I was very impressed.

Jess seemed happy with the outcome, we didn't get overheated, there was plenty of food to go around, and we were glad when it was over. Probably won't be planning another one of those for another 5 years or so.

We were sad when Nana had to leave and can't wait to see her again in October.

1 comment:

Dan and Ang said...

I'm just surprised it took you this long to post about berries. ;) I guess I'll have to wait another few months for a post about "the boots." Oh, how I miss you!!