I don't know if it's that I have two girls or just luck, but up to this point Jessie and Tegan have made it through life pretty unscathed. That is, until a couple of days ago. Jessie had her first experience with a little road rash and I'm pretty sure I'm responsible. Jess and I decided to take a walk while Tegan and Tom were napping, we were admiring the flowers and I picked up a little pine cone and tossed it her way. After giggling she picked up her own wanting to even the score. With all the determination her 27 pound body could muster she came charging after me. As I was running away I realized that between running down a hill, and her flip flops that she was still figuring out how to control, that this very possibly could result in a fall. Just as that thought ran through my mind I hear a thump and then all other noises were drowned out by Jessie's screams. One would have thought she'd lost a limb. Jessie has always erred on the EXTREMELY cautious side with everything. She refuses to ride her tricycle, she will probably NEVER put her head under the water (causing us to waste hundreds on swim lessons), and she sleeps with the light on most nights for fear of the dark. So you can imagine her reaction to this little strawberry on her knee. After cleaning, creaming, and bandaging it--which involved practically hog tying her to get it done--she decided that she could indeed walk on her legs still and now she seems to be slowly recovering, reminding me every so often that she has an owie. I can't help but feel responsible and I guess I'll think twice next time I throw a pine cone at my daughter. Sadly though, this may be her first brush with a little road rash, but it certainly won't be the last or the worst--try explaining that to a screaming 3 year old!
Monday, June 14, 2010
A Brush with Road Rash

I don't know if it's that I have two girls or just luck, but up to this point Jessie and Tegan have made it through life pretty unscathed. That is, until a couple of days ago. Jessie had her first experience with a little road rash and I'm pretty sure I'm responsible. Jess and I decided to take a walk while Tegan and Tom were napping, we were admiring the flowers and I picked up a little pine cone and tossed it her way. After giggling she picked up her own wanting to even the score. With all the determination her 27 pound body could muster she came charging after me. As I was running away I realized that between running down a hill, and her flip flops that she was still figuring out how to control, that this very possibly could result in a fall. Just as that thought ran through my mind I hear a thump and then all other noises were drowned out by Jessie's screams. One would have thought she'd lost a limb. Jessie has always erred on the EXTREMELY cautious side with everything. She refuses to ride her tricycle, she will probably NEVER put her head under the water (causing us to waste hundreds on swim lessons), and she sleeps with the light on most nights for fear of the dark. So you can imagine her reaction to this little strawberry on her knee. After cleaning, creaming, and bandaging it--which involved practically hog tying her to get it done--she decided that she could indeed walk on her legs still and now she seems to be slowly recovering, reminding me every so often that she has an owie. I can't help but feel responsible and I guess I'll think twice next time I throw a pine cone at my daughter. Sadly though, this may be her first brush with a little road rash, but it certainly won't be the last or the worst--try explaining that to a screaming 3 year old!
I don't know if it's that I have two girls or just luck, but up to this point Jessie and Tegan have made it through life pretty unscathed. That is, until a couple of days ago. Jessie had her first experience with a little road rash and I'm pretty sure I'm responsible. Jess and I decided to take a walk while Tegan and Tom were napping, we were admiring the flowers and I picked up a little pine cone and tossed it her way. After giggling she picked up her own wanting to even the score. With all the determination her 27 pound body could muster she came charging after me. As I was running away I realized that between running down a hill, and her flip flops that she was still figuring out how to control, that this very possibly could result in a fall. Just as that thought ran through my mind I hear a thump and then all other noises were drowned out by Jessie's screams. One would have thought she'd lost a limb. Jessie has always erred on the EXTREMELY cautious side with everything. She refuses to ride her tricycle, she will probably NEVER put her head under the water (causing us to waste hundreds on swim lessons), and she sleeps with the light on most nights for fear of the dark. So you can imagine her reaction to this little strawberry on her knee. After cleaning, creaming, and bandaging it--which involved practically hog tying her to get it done--she decided that she could indeed walk on her legs still and now she seems to be slowly recovering, reminding me every so often that she has an owie. I can't help but feel responsible and I guess I'll think twice next time I throw a pine cone at my daughter. Sadly though, this may be her first brush with a little road rash, but it certainly won't be the last or the worst--try explaining that to a screaming 3 year old!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment