Friday, October 30, 2009

Bittersweet

Over the last couple of months Tegan developed this (what I thought was cute) habit of grabbing her hair and playing with it when tired, frustrated, or just plain bored. Somehow that habit then evolved to her pulling gobs of her hair out. Soon she was pulling Jessie's, and mine and pretty much anyone's that she could grasp onto. Several bald spots were forming on her poor little head. All the sudden it didn't seem so cute anymore. More than anything, it was just downright sad..

After talking to others about this and speaking with her pediatrician the census was that I either had to glove her hand or cut her hair really short. I tried gloving her hand for a day and just felt really bad watching her try to play with essentially one good hand. Pretty soon she just stopped using it all together as if it didn't exist. It was kind of heartbreaking.

The breaking point came one night after a Halloween activity. She was tired and began pulling it out. Something in me just snapped and I couldn't take watching it anymore...so

This is the before...



...and the new cut she'll be sporting for the next few months.



It was hard to cut her beautiful hair shorter than it has ever been, BUT despite her best efforts, she has been unable to pull anymore out. Jess and I still have to be careful...if we turn our backs on her for too long we can say good-bye to a nice clump of hair.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh no. That is sad. She is still adorable. Don't forget to adorn her head with bows and girly stuff when you go out. People always think Dax is a girl so I always have to cut his hair. It grows so dang fast though. Hang in there. I would've done the same thing.

Jen said...

I wondered about that! I chalked it up to errant gum or candy. She looks adorable don't sweat it.