Dr. Seuss Week
Jessie's school makes quite a celebration of Dr Seuss. The principal reads them a book, they make a big hat, wear pajamas, and they challenge them to read for ice cream in the weeks leading up to it. The kids all seem to enjoy it. This year in YW we also had a Dr. Seuss themed New Beginnings. I'm familiar with the most popular of his books but there were many I had never read and I don't remember being super excited about his books as a kid. It wasn't until this YW activity that I realized how many great messages are scattered throughout his books. And then I got to wondering if I'm always forgetting to see the message (if there is one) in the books I read with the kids. I decided that we would get a few of the Dr Seuss books we didn't already have and spend a week reading and doing some related activities.
We started off with green eggs and ham
We read all the different books, even at the Dr's office (a little multitasking). Did I mention we were sick in our house for a month??? I'm worried if I talk anymore about it we will bring the curse of every virus/infection on our home again.
Tom made some cute Thing One and Thing Two cupcakes with the girls. It required cotton candy so they were all over that. We also had a few worksheets and coloring pages that the girls worked on.
Lastly we made a little relay combining some ideas from a few of our favorite books (The Foot Book, Horton Hatches an Egg, Ten Apples up on Top, etc..)
I don't know that this will become tradition in our home, but I was glad that we did it. Honestly I went from not really understanding, and even cringing when the girls would request that I read Green Eggs and Ham to gaining a much greater respect for Dr Seuss and the wisdom found in his silly rhymes. So a big thanks to you Dr Seuss!
Monday, March 11, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, such cute ideas! Dr. Seuss would be proud! I love the green eggs and ham!
Post a Comment