Sunday, September 23, 2012

Tomatoes, Tomatoes Everywhere

This year are tomato plants once again took over the garden. The small, inadequate cages that I placed when we planted them have fallen over and been almost completely covered by tomato vines everywhere. I'll have to do things differently next time. Regardless we are swimming in a variety of tomatoes right now. Aside from processing some cooked salsa last week and popping the occasional cherry tomato in my mouth or throwing them on salads I've been unsure what to do with all of them. Meanwhile my fridge is being taken over by bowls full of tomatoes. This week I decided to do something about it. Our menu was focused on using some of these tomatoes up. Most of what we made this week I have never made before and I'm so glad for the experimenting because I found some recipes I will definitely be repeating next season if not sooner.

Here was our tomato week:



First we made some bruschetta. We didn't have any yellow cherry tomatoes so I just used the grape tomatoes from our garden. Not quite as colorful, but soooo delicious. This was probably my favorite from everything we made. Next time I'll throw in a little fresh mozarella too per Tom's request. I sliced up a baguette and sauteed them in a little bit of olive oil and we ate every last yummy bit.

The next day I made some gazpacho per my brother's recommendation. I have never had this cold tomato soup before, but I liked it. I'm not a big tomato soup lover, and the idea of eating it cold sounded even less appetizing, but my brother swore we would enjoy so I took a chance. It didn't knock my socks off, but it was delicious enough that I'd do it again. I used what was left  from the baguette to saute up some croutons to throw on top. My favorite part was that it may be the healthiest thing I've ever enjoyed. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture.

Next I went with a recipe, Linguini with Clams,  that has been circulating in our family for some time. I hadn't had it in years or made it since Tom and I have been married. I think it originally came from a church recipe book of my moms. After we had enjoyed it for dinner I wondered why I hadn't made it sooner. It's a quick easy recipe that won't leave you wanting. Although I wouldn't recommend any serious smooching after partaking.
  -->
6 or 7 large cloves of garlic
½ cup olive oil
½ bunch parsley, chopped (leaves only)
1 can whole clams
1 can chopped clams (you can use whole for both if desired)
½ tsp. Crushed red pepper flakes
¾ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Pepper
1 or 2 tomatoes – chopped

Finely chop garlic and put in small saucepan with olive oil.  Simmer over very low heat until fragrant. Do not let garlic brown!  Add parsley and cook about one minute.  Add juice from two cans of clams, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.   Bring to a boil.  Add one chopped tomato.  Return to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until slightly condensed.  Add clams and second tomato, if desired.  Return to boil. Serve over about a pound of hot linguini.  

When I was young I would have never and I mean never cut into a tomato and eaten it without being in between a burger and a bun, but one of the varieties of tomatoes that we have in the garden is juicy and sweet and sometimes nothing sounds better. My friend was going on and on about fresh tomatoes with cottage cheese and my mouth was watering for it until I finally gave it a try. I sprinkled a little salt and pepper on and enjoyed it just as much as I thought I might. I've had it a few times since.

Lastly I decided to make some fresh salsa and found this recipe on pinterest. I just substituted the canned tomatoes and Rotel with fresh tomatoes and a can of diced green chiles as suggested in one of the comments. Next time I would add a little more zip, I aired on the side of caution this time. I've only ever made cooked salsa so this was a nice change and it's a recipe I'd use again with canned tomatoes if no fresh ones are available.

After this week I'm feeling a little tomatoed out, but at the same time there are plenty of other recipes I'd like to try involving tomatoes and my love for tomatoes has grown just a little bit deeper.


1 comment:

Julie said...

I wish we could do some cooking in LV. I haven't made the linguine and clams in years. I need to make it again.