Sunday, May 24, 2009

Another Great Tribute



I know that I already expressed my opinion about the joys of peanut butter, but I feel like I owe a separate, special tribute to the peanut butter M&M. I don't know at what point my love affair began with this morsel of peanut butter wrapped in chocolate. It wasn't like an immediate connection, but over the years it has grown stronger and stronger. I feel an overwhelming magnetic pull to them, and I am weakened without them. I have realized over the years that having this perfect treat also makes me a weaker person in some ways.

Scenario one: In my mission (Antofagasta Chile) it is hard to find anything with peanut butter, let alone peanut butter m&m's. They had plain, peanut, and crispy, but none with peanut butter. It was a tough reality I had to face. My family and Tommy knowing my love for them sent them to me on two separate occasions. We would retrieve our mail on Monday, but could not open it until Tuesday. It was a test of obedience when those packages would come. I remember sitting in a chair, extremely early on Tuesday morning crunching those m&m's. The weakness came when I couldn't stand to share more than a handful with my companion. Usually I was eager to share a sweet treat from the US, given that the chocolate was less then desirable there, but this monster would come out in me and I couldn't share. I had to have them all to myself.

Scenario two: Just today I was trying to take a nap. Tegan was whining off and on and I finally resolved that it wasn't going to happen. So to make myself feel better I went to look for a sweet treat. All the sudden I remembered the peanut butter m&m's
Tommy had received in a care package. He was sleeping right next to the box and I was pretty sure it would wake him, but I had to have them. I tried to pull the package out slowly, carefully, but instead was quite noisy. Thankfully, Tom didn't seem phased, but sad to say if he would have woken up, it still would have been worth it. And I stole his treat.

I laid there crunching them one at a time and thinking about the joy they bring to my life, but at what cost. It's an unhealthy relationship and I fear what I might do when their in my presence. But I love them--so much. I have tried others, but nothing compares. Thank you peanut butter m&m inventor.

No comments: