Thursday, August 11, 2011

Tonsillectomy

This is Jess shortly after we came home from her surgery. Not exactly what I was imagining her to be like. And yes she is dancing with scissors in her hands.
All that play caught up to her eventually.


This past Monday Jessie underwent the much anticipated tonsil and adenoidectomy. She was almost as nervous as I was, but with lots of prayer, preparation, and dissection of every detail (per Jessie's request) things have gone pretty smoothly.

This surgery seemed like kind of a big deal to me. I knew she needed it done, and I was fairly certain all would be well, but the nurse in me worried about the anesthesia, or the doctor accidentally severing a main artery. I have the picture of her burned in my mind as I let her walk through the double doors with a nurse on one side and the anesthesiologist on the other. Her tiny frame lost in her over-sized gown and pants and she was looking up at them with complete trust in her eyes as they lured her in with a big red balloon. Thirty minutes later I got the report that all went well and that her golf ball-sized tonsils (exaggeration) were no longer going to obstruct her tiny throat.

We made it home with one stop to vomit and ever since things have gone well. Here are a few things I've learned or been reminded of since the surgery...

1. Jess is the ideal patient. She rarely complains and is as sweet as sugar when she's a little under the weather and she loves to snuggle.
2. Getting tonsils removed causes breath that makes halitosis smell like roses. The doctor warned me that it would smell like death in there, but I had no idea. It literally spreads like fire throughout whatever room she is in. Tegan keeps reminding poor Jess that she stinks.
3. Priesthood blessings are amazing. Tommy gave Jessie a blessing of comfort before her surgery. When I questioned if Jess was scared when she went into the other room without her parents she said, "I felt a little scared, but then I remembered the blessing that Papi gave me and I felt better."
4. My kids, when given the option, are not okay with watching movies all day long--this was a relief to me. In preparation for this surgery I had promised Jess she could watch as many movies as she wanted for the first couple of days. It was one of the two benefits to getting the surgery that she was looking forward to. After watching one movie she actually preferred draw or play a game. I was happy to see that my perceived TV addict isn't one after all. For the record, the other benefit was that she could have as much ice cream as she wanted and that deal she has taken full advantage of.
5. Staying home and relaxing isn't all it's cracked up to be--for me anyway. We've barely left the house this week. I thought I might enjoy some down time, and I have a little, but mostly I'm going crazy and I'm anxious to get out and soak up some more of that sunshine.

There were a few moments where I wondered if we were doing the right thing because this was elective, but for the first time ever I can't hear Jessie from the other room when she sleeps and she's actually able to breath through her nose. Now it's just waiting for her breath to normalize and hoping it happens soon.

3 comments:

Dan and Ang said...

What a brave little girl! I'm glad everything went so smoothly and that she's doing so well. Dan had so much fun with Jess and Tom at lunch yesterday - I wish I could've been there. :) (And I must say I'm pretty surprised also that she didn't want to watch movies all day. That's a different Jessie than I used to babysit.) :)

Kristin said...

Oh wow, golf ball size?!? She's so tiny to have two of those in there! I'm really glad everything went well and hope she has many good nights of sleep ahead. Let her know I will drop Parker off ANYTIME if she needs some company. ;)

Unknown said...

The golf ball size was an exaggeration. She'd be dead if they were that big, but they were very large for her size.