Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Peaches 'n' Cream

I love this time of year as summer winds down and fall slowly takes it's place in line. I especially love it in Oregon where there is an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables eager for picking. I am often times teased at how much I talk about fruit, berries, and canning...and I admit I enjoy talking about that just about as much as I enjoyed talking about boys as a teenager. I love to explore all of the things you can do with the harvest. Hopefully this time next year I will be picking from my own garden, but for now I'm happy to shop at the local farmer's market.

For three years now my friend Kristine and I have canned peaches together. It has been something that I always look forward to. Not only do I love canned peaches (my mouth is watering just thinking about them),but the cream part comes from spending time with a great friend. For hours we pick, peel, slice, fill, process the peaches, and listen for that pop that lets us know those peaches our sealed safe and secure. There are always a couple burns along the way, one of our kids crying or needing something, and a moment when we look at one another and verbally acknowledge how crazy we are to be doing it. Despite the craziness, somehow those peaches get canned. We are hot, sticky, and worn out, but pleased in seeing plenty of peaches that we will enjoy until next year. Just as the anticipation for Christmas and mild let down when it's all over, I am a little sad that peach day has come and gone, however just as always, before I know it we will be standing in front of the sink again peeling peaches and catching up.


Jessie all dressed for the special occasion of picking the peaches.
Sink full of peaches.

Our "we did it" moment.

No comments: