My baby's getting bigger and I'm a little bit sad about it. Jess is starting kindergarten this year and it's a little hard for me to digest. The other day she had her literacy assessment and as I watched her sitting there all grown up like with her new teacher, I almost started crying. It's not really the fact that she's going to school 5 days a week, last year she went to preschool 3 days each week-- it's more what it represents.
It's me having to let loose on the reigns some and losing a little bit of control and her marching forward becoming just a little bit more independent. Although unrealistic, there is part of me that wants to go right in with her and sit next to her in class to fend off any bullies, pick her friends, and cover her ears when something inappropriate is said. I can only imagine that as the years go on her independence will become more and more drastic. I just have to hope that she chooses to make good choices and be strong.
The other day while in the car I was expressing to Jess that I was feeling a little sad about her not being home in the mornings soon. She said, "Mom I want to live with you and Papi forever." I explained to her that someday she will actually want to move out and be on her own. She disagreed and we continued to argue about it, until finally we agreed that we would discuss it again in a few years. I have to admit, it was nice to hear that our home is a place she loves to be. I hope that when she is all grown up and on her own it will still be that way.
2 comments:
What a cute girl!! I can't believe she's in kindergarten already! You're such a sweet mom!
Oh Tara, I had the same feelings as I sent Mac to preschool last week. It is hard and I want to be there every minute, but I guess that is part of the growing process for both parent and child.
Post a Comment